Recycled Regatta & Roanoke River Fest
June 3rd, 2017
Smith & Wasena Parks
Remember the scene from Huckleberry Finn where he sets off downstream on his rickety, handmade watercraft? Picture that, only now it’s on the Roanoke River with other teams of racers furiously paddling their salvaged, recycled, handmade boats, racing for a finish line. The river banks are filled with cheering fans, fun activity and information booths and live music. Suddenly, a boat starts self-destructing! The racers scramble to hold it all together and stay afloat. Can they hold it together and get across the finish line? This is the Recycled Regatta!
Be part of the fun and come test your building skills and play on our river on your own recycled creation. Get a team together to represent your company, small business, church or youth group, school club, family or group of friends and create your custom craft using only reclaimed and recycled materials. Plenty of fun will be had by racers and spectators alike with great activities throughout the day for all ages. Teams need 2 to 6 participants, 12 years of age and up.
ROANOKE RIVER FEST
- Recycled Regatta (Clean Valley Council)
- Great Roanoke River Duck Race (Rotary Club)
- Chillage on the River (Grandin Village Business Association)
Stream Ecology, Flycasting, Kids Activities, Vendors, Kayak, SUP, Canoe demos, Bike Demos, Stormwater Information, Gear Raffles, Recycling Information, Local Recreation and Environmental Organizations, MUSIC, FOOD, & FUN on the River!
- 9:00 – 10:00 Boat drop off
- 11:00 – 3:00 Music, Activities, & tons of fun!
- 11:00 – 1:00 Voting for People’s Choice Award
- 1:00 Great Roanoke River Duck Race begins
- 1:00 – 1:30 Recycled Regatta Racer Meeting
- 2:00 First Recycled Regatta Heat begins
- 2:15 Second Recycled Regatta Heat begins
- 3:00 – 4:00 Awards’ Ceremony & Racer/Sponsor After-party (Chillage?)
- 4:00 – 5:30 Boat Pickup (Wiley Drive re-opens at 4pm)